THE UNIVERSITY IS:
CAMPUS EMERGENCY ALERTS:NONE
On-campus phone 911
(UM Police) or 911
Other Police Numbers
Police On-campus contingency phone
301.403.4544 or 301.403.4543
University Health Center
Sign Up for UMD's Text Messaging System at www.alert.umd.edu
Emergency Preparedness > Emergency Procedures and Action Plans <- You Are Here
If you receive a bomb threat by telephone, here are some helpful things to keep in mind:
- Remain Calm. When the bomb threat is received, the person taking the call must remain calm and obtain as much information as possible
- DO NOT put the caller on hold
- DO NOT attempt to transfer the call
- The person taking the call should immediately notify another staff person in the office, preferably while the caller is still on the line.
- Pay attention to the caller and his/her words and speech:
- Does the caller have and distinguishing voice characteristics such as an accent, stuttering or mispronunciation?
- Is the caller angry, excited, irrational or agitated?
- Is the caller a man or woman, young, middle aged or old?
- If you have caller ID, note the phone number of the caller.
- Listen for background noises (traffic, train whistle, music, radio, TV, children, airplanes, etc).
- It is important to document all that you know and hear. This should include filling out the Bomb Threat Checklist.
- Call the Department of Public Safety at 911 or 301.405.3333.
- Do not evacuate until told to do so by the Department of Public Safety.
Bomb Threat Checklist
(STAY CALM AND COLLECT ALL THE INFORMATION YOU CAN)
- Name of Call Taker
- Date and Time Received
- How was Threat Reported (Telephone, E-Mail, In-Person, By Mail)?
- Location Threatened
- Exact Words Used to make threat
Questions To Ask The Person Making The Threat:
- When is the Bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb located?
- What kind of bomb is it?
- What does it look like?
- Who placed the bomb?
- Why was the bomb placed?
- Where are you calling from?
Description of Callers Voice:
Young, Old, Middle Aged, Accent, Male, Female, Race, Background Noises, Remarks, etc...
Completed By: (your name) Phone: (your phone)