University of Maryland Archives,
Thomas B. Symons (1880-1970) was acting president of the university in
Having retired as Dean of Agriculture and Director of the Agricultural
Experiment Station in 1950, Symons agreed to serve as acting president in
During his brief tenure, his major accomplishment was to remodel the
Rossborough Inn into the faculty club.
A building on campus, constructed in 1940, was named after Symons in 1954.
Hall is home to the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, the Department of
Entomology, the College of Life Sciences, and the
Marine-Estuarine-Environmental Sciences, as well as several other programs